NEW IN 2015
- The BSC has revised the format for the mixer that will be held at the Biophysical Society meeting in 2015 in Baltimore. Instead of meeting within the confines of the convention center, we will meet from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 8, 2015 at the Pratt Street Ale House, which is located across from the Baltimore Convention Center. Food will be provided. A draw at the mixer from amongst the attendees will be held for one travel award.
- The Society will offer two merit-based travel awards for student members (1 M.Sc. and 1 Ph.D.) and one award for a post-doctoral member of the BSC to attend the meeting in Baltimore. Application information can be found on the home page of the web site. The awards will be announced in January, 2015, and presented at the mixer on February 8, 2015.
- We have maintained membership fees well below those of other scientific societies in Canada. We have added a lab membership ($100). The lab membership is for one PI and all the trainees that are directly under his/her supervision.
NEW IN 2014
- The BSC held a mixer with talks from two travel award winners at the 2014 Biophysical Society meeting in San Francisco. The senior investigator award was presented to Dr. Ian C.P. Smith, a founder of the BSC, while the trainee award was presented to Sherry Leung, from the lab of Dr. Jenifer Thewalt at Simon Fraser University.
- The BSC provided financial support for two Canadian Biophysical Symposia, one at the Canadian Chemistry Conference (June 2nd and 3rd) and one at Memorial University (October 4th).
- Several new members were appointed to the BSC executive to provide better regional representation across the country.
- We have revamped much of the content on the BSC web site.
- Although still a work in progress, we have incorporated an electronic payment option for membership applications/renewals on the BSC web site. With increased financial support, we hope to have someone code a completely automatic online registration/payment/receipt generation system.